Developments in Construction Technology adding wheels to the Indian Growth Story
By Mr Saroj Kumar Jha, Deputy General Manager, B L Kashyap & Sons Limited
Construction in India has been witnessing a gradual and steady growth in the last two years and is expected to grow considerably in the next 5 years, many thanks to the Government’s initiatives of policy changes and 100% FDI flow. Along with the growth of the industry, there is a growing trend in innovation and new technologies coming in the field of building constructions that have added to the mix. The features of evolving construction technology comprise of the following:
Grade of Concrete – When we talk about the grade of concrete, it refers to the strength of the concrete. A decade ago, there was a challenge in creating high-performance concrete due to the absence of the high-grade concrete and other construction materials. However, in the recent years, innovations and technological advancements have ensured improvement in the products, process and practices of the construction industry. Now, by implementing evolving technologies, the complete strength of hardened concrete can be created with the upgraded site control method of production by the utilization of admixture and cement additives (GGBS and Micro silica) through the designed mix process. Up to M-80 grade of concrete can now be used to encase the column of structural steel, which increases the load carrying capacity of the section and add more area for space utilization, with a less sectional area and lower dead load. This is one of the best rational approaches to the selection of mix proportions with exact materials in mind containing the specific characteristics. This process results in the production of concrete with the appropriate properties most economically.
Steel Structure: Steel structure concept has created a revolution in the construction industry. The advantages of steel structure are an overall economy by the lower dead load (less foundation cost), smaller sections of column/beam (Due to higher resistance properties of the section), better control on-site fabrication, erection of pillars/walls, joining (Bolting/Welding), reduces the modification and time consuming. Here, pertinent to mention is that one of the most used steel structures is Composite Steel structure in the construction industry, which BL Kashyap and Sons Ltd. pioneers in.
The following benefits are achievable by adopting Composite Slabs and Beams using Steel Decking in the constructions.
- Speed and simplicity of constructions due to using of material like metal decking and simple steel connections. The advantage of decking system is that the bundles of decking can be lifted and positioned through cranes and individual decks can be lifted manually. This process helps in building over 400 square meters of decking, which can be installed by one or more team in a day
- Saving in weight due to lighter constructions, as composite constructions are relatively stiffer than other conventional flooring systems
- Transportation cost of materials like decking material is reduced due to being lighter in weight, tighter packing of decks and they can be delivered in pre-cut lengths
- Provides protection against falling objects from the top
- Provides space for carrying out all parallel activities
- Formwork not needed or they can be the bare minimum in large spans
Stationary Concrete Placing Boom: The utilization of concrete placing boom has increased the efficiency in terms of enhanced concrete pumping pressure, better reach and rugged features to counter abrasion. The properties of placed concrete are better controlled through this equipment and the stability of the structure becomes promising.
System Formwork: Formwork in construction is the use of support structure and mould to create structures out of concrete. System Formwork comes with different types but Table Form / Aluminum Formwork is the best as they are strong enough to withstand all types of dead and live loads, reduces the manpower and last but not least, are very economical.